Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fake it to Make it!


Have you ever seen a really pretty sign made of wood, or plywood in a giant frame or a huge canvas?

via: this blog

I saw this one day via Pinterest:
via: etsy shop

Love it.  Only.....$55 is a little out of my next-to-nothing home decor budget.  So I turned to the supplies I had on hand.

  • cardboard
  • aqua, white, yellow& orange paint
  • gold push pins 
  • ribbon 
I used a foam brush to cover it in aqua, let it dry. Then in white.  *be sure to get your sides!*
(You could totally do silver paint, but this is just what I had on hand!)
Then you could either use vinyl, or cut & trace letters.  I simply took a pencil, and with one eye on the picture, eyeballed the whole thing.  It turned out perfectly imperfect.  To get the color (that just so happened to match our bedroom) I mixed a little bit of orange into yellow. 
Finishing touches: I simply poked two holes through the top with a pencil to tie the ribbon through.  Then went around the edges and put in the gold push pins.

And THAT is how you fake it to make it!











3 comments:

  1. Found you at the Tatertots & Jello party... I love your sign and especially love that you did it freehand. Makes it so personal and really inspires me since I get whiny about not having a vinyl cutting machine. :) Great job!

    -sara @ applestonedrive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! I love that you used cardboard! My sister's and I use all sorts of strange things to make signs. My sister made one out of the bottom of a crib the other day! lol Way to be enginuative! I think the sign looks great!

    Thanks for linking it up @ Creatively Living!
    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, cardboard??? That is so awesome! Great job!! I love the fonts!

    We're just starting a link up party and love it if you'd share there (if you are interested): http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/03/wayward-weekend-week-6.html

    ReplyDelete